Thursday, November 29, 2007

Death of a child

It seems that yesterday I was reminded of a youth's death a number of times. As I was up in the Shawnigan area, both the Arena and the Secondary School had messages to the family of Nick a fifteen year old who was hit by a car last week on his way home from school. No rhyme nor reason for it, seems like he was at the wrong place on the road at the wrong time.

Many years ago, a 14 year old student whom I had taught was hit by a car while riding his bicycle. There really was no one to blame.

I can't imagine the pain and anguish that the death of a son or daughter brings to the parent. I have lost my parents and felt that pain but they were older and had lead long and happy lives. I remember Barbara Coloroso, in one of her talks, mentioning it is not the norm for a parent to outlive her/his son or daughter. It happens but is not the usual cycle of life.

As parents when we here of tragic accidents or illnesses resulting in the death of a child, we all experience a shared grief with the parents. We become in a sense a community of parents reaching out directly or indirectly with our quiet thoughts of compassion.

To Nick's family and friends, our thoughts are with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home