Sunday, February 10, 2008

A Parent's "Bucket List"

Recently I saw the movie "The Bucket List" starring Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson. On reflection I felt it provided a TWO messages for parents.

Sitting atop the Pyramids, Morgan Freeman's character poses a question to Jack Nicholson's character. He stated that the ancient Egyptians believed that when they died, they were asked two questions before they could pass onto eternal life.

1. Have you ever experienced true joy in your life?

2. In your life, have you ever brought anyone else joy?

These questions struck me as one of those lessons or goals in life where we as parents model behaviours for our children about "living and giving." Question #1 concerns how we actually "live" our own life while question #2 relates to the way we "give" to others.

The second thought that I had on viewing the movie was the importance of setting some goals in our lives as individuals and as parents. These goals, as Freeman's character said, are not about specifically about money or property but about outcomes or experiences we would like to have or share with others. Again it is about "living and giving."

When I thought about the idea of a bucket list, I was a little stumped as to what I would put on it. The two characters in the movie brainstormed a list and then went out to check off the each accomplishment.

I invite you to share an idea from your parental bucket list by posting a comment.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home